Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Listen

I suppose

If I were better with words

a wordsmith maybe

I could describe the sound

 

Crafted and carved wood against brass would be like

the first rain

falling upon a parched window

 

keys once made of ivory and mahogany

sound as footsteps on old and cracked city sidewalk pavement

some mostly young ones dance

avoiding the life persevering through said cracks

respecting

recognizing

seeing

the same youth in the life carving a path for their own roots

as they are told of their own

 

The older ones

take a moment to be still

to hold a note

to hold their breath

to feel the vibration

enjoy life

until the note has passed

 

How could one explain the voice of a bass

 

Maybe

 

It is the rumble of a trolley

the heft of the slow moving train

the uneasy but understood movement of the subway platform as it is arriving

but has not stopped.

 

the depth of its pitch causes feet to be ears

one’s chest becomes a resonating chamber

 

The chirps

The caws

The song of the metal birds

nothing quite like it

 

Words mimic the notes

vocals mime the tone

but

the horns

 

they fly

 

If I were better with words

I could tell you what Jazz sounds like

 

still

 

I don’t think I would

 

The words and melody are already there

for interpretation

for explanation

all I could really do is give you more

 

No

 

I wouldnt even if I could tell you about Jazz

instead

id say one word

 

 

© Christopher F. Brown 2013

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 


Pen to Paper & Finger to Key © 2008. Design by: Pocket