Friday, November 27, 2015

Birth Place

 

I want to know more than one

Haitian

 

I want to know more than three

Jamaicans

 

I want to meet Nigerians that speak

Igbo

 

Kenyans that laugh at the Swahili I learned in Berkeley

Ugandans that correct my Mandarin

Tanzanians that teach me how to say it in Cantonese  

 

I want to tour the holy city Ile-Ife

trace the pilgrimage path of Mansa Musa

then circle back to Timbuktu

 

See the reminders of Aksum

See the remainders of Kmt

 

Touch the Earth and envision the buildings that my ancestors constructed

thousands of years before they were invaded thousands of times

leaving the still standing walls that others never believed were thousands of years old

till their, “science” said so

 

I want to board a barge in the south and flow north with the Nile

I wonder what eight others will join me

 

I want to walk the same trail

that was the first trail

compare my foot print

to the first foot print

 

The vision I see

The things I want to do

The escape I want to take

 

Isnt one that is new

 

Its one that is old

so old that its in the blood

in the very fabric and design

of all that claim

 

Human

 

What I want is a realization

no

a reawakening

of my genetic inheritance

of my ancestral birthright

 

What calls me is the land so old

its true name

its original tongue

is the only

can only

be labeled

 

The First

 

There

that is what calls to me

There

that is what pushes me

that is the very intangible force that pulsates my heart

pumping the blood through my veins

 

That place that is forever older than old

yet

In a constant state of

Reconstruction

Recreation

Revelation

Renovation

Revitalization

 

Revolution

 

I want to breath the air in that place that is always in a state of newness

I want to feel the frequency in that place

where there are as many words for new

as there are people to speak them

 

That is the place

That is the space

That is

 

© Christopher F. Brown 2015

 

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 


Pen to Paper & Finger to Key © 2008. Design by: Pocket